d.d. Cres developed on the foundations of two small well-known shipyards
Chiole and Craglietto in April 1947.
• Nereo, Marizza, Giacomina G., Cherso,
Drago G., Follia,
At the very beginning, after the World War II., it was a small shipyard («škver») on whose slipways small boats, fishing boats and sporting boats, were built.
Cargo boats built in those early days
Six wooden fishing boats 14,5 m long, like Sotorišće, were also built. Sunj and Skarpunj were built in 1958, and Kokot and Vrana, 17,3 m long, in 1960, and ships Ćutin and Ranj were turned into ferries.
In 1957 the production of carts and cranes for palletizing in brickmaking industry for local and foreign market started, and a foundry for pig iron and non-ferrous metals was put in operation.
At the beginning the shipyard had two smaller slipways. Later one big and one small slipway were built, where wooden and iron ships up to 41 m in length could be pulled up out. A mechanical workshop and lay wharf 74 m long were also built.
Shipping Department was established in
1966 with 5 wooden ships:
It was a modest beginning, but an activity that was very developed in the 19th century was restored. According to its number and tonnage this activity was just behind Mali Lošinj and Volosko.
Later, following ships for transporting
cargo and passengers inside the Adriatic sea and the Mediterranean were
Today Shipping Department has at its
disposal one vessel that navigates in Mediterranean, and this
Also, the Shipping Department has two ships in its management:
Turning-point in doing business of the shipyard, that is in the Shiprepair Department, took place on February 28th 1984 when a floating dock with 1000 tons lifting capacity was acquired. The first ship on the dock was the ferry-boat «Kalmar» owned by «Jadrolinija» - Rijeka.
The floating dock enabled the docking of bigger ships and made the work done on fishing boats easier since they were mostly pulled up out on slipways. In the same year, southern wharf and northern wharf with the trail for the crane (up to 5 t lifting capacity) were extended.
In the late 90s, by reconstruction, revitalization
and building an annex to existing buildings, two plateaus for maintaining
and keeping ships and vessels were built (the establishment of Yachting).
In the same year a travel-lift with 100 tons lifting capacity that enables
ships and boats to be beached was acquired.
In order to comply with new regulations of the International Convention
on Safety of Life at Sea (Convention SOLAS-ISM codex) and with current
movements on the market looking for defined quality (Standard ISO 9000),
the management of the shipyard decided to introduce to the company Safety
and Quality Management System.
Today, the shipyard is qualified for repairs of iron ships up to 12000 t carrying capacity, all sizes of wooden ships and ships made of fiber-glass, for construction of wooden ships up to 15 m in length, repair and maintenance of engines and other ship equipment.
Today, along with the experience of the best island captains and ship-builders, the shipyard performs three basic acivities: shipbuilding, shipping industry and yachting.
The island of Cres is situated on the eastern coast of the Adriatic
sea and it is the biggest island in Croatia. The extension of the island
in the middle of the Bay of Kvarner in length of 65,5 km makes it the
skeleton of Kvarner, that is, of the northern Adriatic. The Bay of Cres
is 24 Nm distant from the main port and the city of Rijeka.